Are you a tourist traveling to Nicaragua for leisure or otherwise? If you haven’t visited Nicaragua before, it is easy to make mistakes that can derail or put a damper on your vacation. The following make our shortlist:
1. There is a $10 USD visa entry fee payable in cash at time of entry. As you enter Nicaragua you pay for a tourist card that is worth $10 USD. Upon departure, the exit tax is $35 USD, however major airlines already include this on your ticket.
2. If you are coming from countries such as Panama or Colombia, you must have the yellow fever vaccination at least 10 days prior to entry and show proof of vaccination. Visit www.iamat.org for more information on the countries with risk of Yellow Fever transmission.
3. Be sure to remove price tags from anything new that you are bringing into the country, otherwise you may get charged import duty.
4. As cool as it would be to fly your drone in Nicaragua and capture all the beauty in this country like it’s volcanoes, lakes, and lagoons, you cannot bring a drone into the country. It is considered military equipment.
5. The roads can be adventurous. While most highways across Nicaragua are paved and in relatively good condition, you are sure to come across oxcarts, dirt roads, and potholes. It is ideal to have a 4 x 4 vehicle if possible. Also, be sure to drive the speed limit and obey all traffic laws.
6. Since Nicaragua is one of the top tourist destinations in Latin America and there are so many amazing adventures to delve into, you will almost certainly want to do some hiking or volcano trekking. Be sure to dress appropriately, wear comfortable footwear and eye wear, and carry sunscreen. Also make sure you stay hydrated and carry adequate snacks for your trekking.
If you would like to plan your next vacation to Nicaragua, we have several Discover Nicaragua Tours coming up this year. Click here for more information.
ECI Development delivers affordable luxury residence and resort communities in Central America, providing our clients with various premier lifestyle options from the Caribbean to the Pacific. ECI delivers inspired residences for adventurous souls.
Coupled with over 20 years of inherent corporate social responsibility in the communities where we work, ECI Development is building a sustainable business that is going to be around for the next 100+ years.