Nicaragua's Pacific coastline is extensive, continuing for over 200 miles. Some beaches are known for their superb surfing, while others are favored by windsurfers. Here is a breakdown of each Pacific beach to help you find the activity you want to enjoy.
Quieter Pacific Beaches
- Las Penitas: This beach about 15 miles west of Leon offers a real escape where tranquility is the norm. Visitors can soak in the sun in a peaceful environment.
- El Velero: This beach with its awesome swells attracts surfers from across the globe. Like most beaches on the Pacific side, it offers crystalline waters and white sands.
- Gran Pacifica: One thing to ask yourself as you consider Nicaragua's beaches is this: "Do I want to follow the crowds, or do I want more seclusion?"Â A big advantage of Gran Pacifica's 3.5 miles of private beaches is the freedom and openness of it all. Guests enjoy expanses of Pacific shoreline that stretch on and on. One can soak in the sun, dig for shells with kids, swim amidst the tropical breezes or enjoy world-class surfing.
- La Flor Beach: This beach is about 12 miles south of San Juan del Sur. It is known more for its sea turtles than its swimming. The wildlife refuge here helps to protect the sea turtles when they arrive in the summer to lay their eggs. La Flor Beach is one of only about half a dozen places on the planet where this yearly ritual happens.
Busier Pacific Beaches
- Pochomil Beach: This Nicaragua beach is popular with the locals, in part because it is only about 40 miles from the capital of Managua. Swimming, tanning and beach sports are enjoyed here.
- San Juan Del Sur: Located about 100 miles from Managua, San Juan Del Sur is perhaps the most visited of all of the Central American beaches. In and around national holidays, visitors come for swimming, surfing, jet skiing, snorkeling and diving.
- La Boquita Beach: La Boquita is a popular beach in a well-developed part of the Pacific coast. The tourist complex here includes trendy nightclubs, premium restaurants and chic hotels.
Beaches For Everyone
No matter which one of the beaches you choose, you will enjoy the area's beautiful sunsets and sandy beaches.